As exciting as moving into your dorm room can be, these spaces haven’t changed much in the last few decades. Chances are there’s some snapshots of your friends and family members sitting in rooms exactly like your new digs from long before you ever started your academic journey. Putting your flair on the collegiate equivalent to a tiny home with cinderblock walls can definitely be a challenge. But this challenge has countless creative solutions just waiting for you to put your spin on them! Everywhere you turn there are fun dorm room decorating solutions and inspiration can strike whether you’re searching the web or shopping in stores. We’ve put together a few of our favorites that won’t break the bank but also won’t break school rules. These fun ideas are sure to elevate your dorm décor and maybe you can even get Mom or Dad to ship them out to their favorite college student!
- One Extra Large Metal Cookie Sheet: Spray paint it, decorate it, hang it on a wall and use it as a magnetic board! You’ll need magnets if you want it to be fully functional. Try picking up a few as affordable keepsakes when you’re shopping around your new college town.
- A Couple of Clay Pots: You can put a plant in one (a touch of green in your room), and use them to hold pencils, toothbrushes, and hair supplies. But terra cotta pots are also perfect for cooking marshmallows!
- A Half Dozen Rolls of Washi Tape: Washi Tape is a decorative Japanese tape that’s easily removable and leaves no residue. This tape craze has become so popular that you can find it in varying widths as well as any color or pattern you can imagine. Decorate your door, personalize your bed, make picture frames, line bookshelves, or even start an epic mosaic on the wall.
- A Multitude of Multicolored Sticky Notes: Choose a wall to create Post-It wall art! As you have friends visit your new room, let them add to the wall by signing a sticky note. By the end of the year, you’ll have all your incredible memories captured on your wall.
- A Plethora of LED holiday lights: There’s nothing more fun (or safer since they stay cool to the touch!) for dorm room decorating than LED holiday lights. Most fun of all areRGB Remote Control Color changing LED lights. Our Remote Control Color Changing products allow you to control color and motion, all in one string of lights with the touch of a remote.
Lighting up your space with LEDs happens to be our favorite way to personalize your dorm room. Because of that, we have a few more tips and tricks up our sleeve that we think will really transform your new space into your favorite place on campus! Take a look at some of these simple options and get ready to give your new home away from home an illuminated makeover.
Bring the Outdoors Inside with Globe Lights
Not just for patios, LED globe lights can provide you with some cute dorm ideas ranging from creating a canopy of star-like lighting to a playful accent for your living room dance parties. The G-Series of LED bulbs (that’s G30, G40, and G50 bulbs) are round and bright, which makes them a versatile style to use throughout your dorm room décor. These LED light bulbs can make for some of the greatest dorm decorating ideas, especially for those on a budget!
Christmas Light Balls are a Creative Touch Year-Round
The overhead lights in dorms can often be too harsh for everyday use. But there’s far more options than just another table lamp! Use Christmas light balls to fill your room with a soft glow using different shades of paper lanterns. You can also use them as a centerpiece in your room to turn any drab space into your building’s new hot spot. There are tons of different methods to use these spheres to light up your humble abode! Christmas light spheres, starlight spheres, and even folding spheres are a must have for anyone looking for a unique and bold pop of light to brighten their living space.
Change your Design Daily with Battery Operated LED Lights
If you enjoy some variety, flexibility, and modernization in your dorm room decorating, then battery operated LED lights may be the perfect solution for you! The smallest bulbs offered plus their compact battery pack makes them easily the most flexible and affordable LED lights on the market for college students. These fairy lights can be used to create magnificent designs in any nook or cranny of your dorm room! Switch up their position as often as you want, with no hassle, to keep your space fresh and fun.
Dream Big with Twinkle Lights
You just can’t go wrong with a classic string of LED Twinkle lights. Set the scene in your dorm room for a relaxing getaway from all the stress and fast-paced studying and socializing that happens everywhere else on campus. Your dorm room should be where you go to take a break from all of that. Let the subtle movement of the lights calm you down and help you recharge until you’re ready for your next big adventure. Or until you have to go take your next midterm or final. No doubt these lights will help the stress melt away.
With these product suggestions and design tips, you will be decorating your dorm room like your actually an interior design major with the budget of a college student. So, the next time you find yourself wondering how to decorate a dorm room, think LED lighting solutions! For more lighting options to decorate with visit our site and shop our full selection of LED Christmas lights.